Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Loyd Homeplace: Then and Now

After I wrote my book in 2007, I had a personal
desire to find out all I could about the old Loyd
Homeplace.  Though the house still stands, only
my 98 year-old father remembers it as it was in
his childhood.  On a visit there, he was able to 
call up memories of long ago to help me 
reconstruct where things were.  Click on the
map below to enlarge the image and see where 
such things as sheds, orchards, hog pen, 
barn, and the outhouse were.


A refurbished house now serves as the 
clubhouse for the Chateau Montagne
Apartments.  Through all the changes,
certain attributes are still familiar to 
my father.

The historic plaque on the front porch is
not 100% accurate.  We're not sure of the
exact year of the house's construction.  But
it wasn't built by my great grandfather Joseph
Alford Loyd.  It was built by his father, Jabez
M. Loyd and willed to Joseph A. Loyd.
Click to enlarge the plaque and note the
location's historical significance.

My father recalls very well a special room
prepared for circuit-riding preachers to stay
in when they journeyed to the Chamblee
community for revivals and other church
services.  This pump organ, which belongs
to our family, is like the one in the preacher's
guest room.

The timbers which form these steps are
likely 150 years old or more.

Some of the heavy beams supporting the
ceilings are likely the originals.

This is one of the house's 
original stone fireplaces.

You might think everything outside the house
would be different.  But my father said this
gigantic elm tree in back of the house was 
already huge when he was a boy.  He believes
it pre-dates the Civil War.  I wish that gnarled
trunk could tell the history it has witnessed.

I was thrilled to find a heavy growth of
resurrection fern on its massive limbs.

One of the house's original chimneys.

The original stone foundation.

Shortly after our visit to the Loyd Homeplace,
I took my father to a neighborhood park and
showed him Peachtree Creek, where he often
played as a boy.

A few miles away, the Battle of Peachtree
Creek was fought back in 1864, 148 years ago.
Daddy did not realize until I discovered it on
old maps that this portion of the famous creek,
which now winds underneath Interstate 85,
was at the corner of 600 acres of the original
Loyd property.


Many Loyds toiled on that land since 1821,
and the full story has not even been uncovered
yet.  But I am having the time of my life delving
into the story.  I have learned much about my
father and his family, especially his father and
grandfather, Joseph Carl Loyd and Joseph
Alford Loyd, pictured below.
They're the two on the right!

No comments:

Post a Comment