Saturday, July 9, 2022

The Next Generation learns of the Mystery!

 As of this week, I have achieved a long-awaited goal.

I have now shared "Mystery of the Loyd Homeplace" with

all five of my grandchildren, and what an experience it was.

I actually read it to Brianna and Hunter in August 2021. This week,

in two sessions, I read it to Claire, Evan, and Ryan. The enthusiasm

with which all of them received it thrilled me, and I am already confident

they will one day share the book, the mystery, AND their amazing family

history with their own children. And if they don't, I'll be coming back to 

haunt them! (I'll give them fair warning)

Here are a few representative images from these sessions.

Bri and Hunter display some of the props I employ to
bring the story alive for my listeners. 

The Confederate money is always a favorite.

As the story reveals, this metal box, hidden for safe-
keeping during General Shermans' invasion of Atlanta
in July 1864, contained Loyd family valuables and an
exceedingly important letter written just days before the
Battle of Peachtree Creek and the Battle of Atlanta.
Peachtree Creek ran along the boundary of the Loyd property
and the battle was waged just a few miles to the west.

A wonderful addition to my prop collection is the 
actual family Bible of Mama and Papa Loyd, including
a wealth of genealogy information. My Aunt Frances Loyd
Spruill graciously passed this treasure on to me for the family
"archives." Frances, now 94, is my last living aunt or uncle, and
is herself a vast storehouse of family history, just as Mama Loyd
and my Daddy, Marvin Loyd were.

Bri and Hunter examine the time-worn pages that tell
of births, deaths, and marriages dating back well over 
a century. School groups that I read the book to over
the last 15 years did not get to see the actual Bible.

One day these two will have the opportunity to read 
my book to their own children. Although, quite possibly,
I'll beat them to it! I hope so!

This week, almost a full year later, I finally found the
perfect time to share the book with the three Kirby 
grandchildren, Claire, Evan, and Ryan.

The props include a 1912 picture of the Loyd homeplace
as well as a 1970s picture. The house looks very similar today.
Also, note the map of the surroundings of the homeplace,
which my father helped me create by visiting the site at age 96.
His vision was poor, but his memory was flawless, and he added
tremendously to what we know about the homeplace of our heritage.

The familiar title page of my book features the 1912
photo, with Papa and Mama Loyd, Grandpa and Grandma
Loyd, and one of Papa Loyd's sisters, probably Jewel.

As the Talberts and Kirbys learned, your last name doesn't 
have to be Loyd for this to be YOUR history.

Claire holds the letter signed by Jabez Loyd and his sons
Parks, Brown, and Joseph Alford (my great grandfather)
when the Battle of Atlanta was imminent.

Evan is glad the Loyd treasure was finally discovered.
He's not greedy, just appreciative!

Ryan is as proud as if he had found the treasure himself.
And no doubt, these super-sleuths COULD have!

Claire displays one of several books and magazines I've
collected to enhance my story, as I continue to learn more
about pioneer Atlanta and my family's role in it.

Ryan can't believe these artifacts are actual relics of
the Civil War. And the Loyd Homeplace is even older!

Evan sees the possibility of getting in on future 
investigations. With Ancestry.com and a host of
resources now available to us, there's no limit to
how far the grandkids might help me in pursuing
the "treasure" of our full family history.


No comments:

Post a Comment