Friday, October 12, 2012

More about Railroads in Atlanta's Civil War Story

The story of Atlanta was intertwined with
the growth of railroads from the very
beginning.  The establishment of the
zero milepost of the Atlantic and Western
Railroad assured that commerce would one
day thrive in that location.  Of course, it wasn't
known as Atlanta then.  It was Marthasville.
And the original settlers set up shop around
seven streets and the railroad tracks.  One of
those seven streets was Loyd Street, now
known as Central Avenue.

In 1862, Atlantans got their first taste of wartime
drama when a band of Union soldiers disguised as
civilians stole the locomotive General.  Click on
the page below to read the exciting tale.  It was
later retold in the Buster Keaton silent film,
"The General," which was historically accurate
for the most part.


The following two maps show how
three important railroads intersected in
the heart of Atlanta at the time of the
Civil War.  They were the Atlantic and
Western, The Macon and Western, and
the Georgia Railroad, which passed near
Stone Mountain.

Because of these railroads, Atlanta was the
central artery for transportation of southern
war materials.  This also made it a strategic
target for General Sherman's assault.

The hustle and bustle of pre-war Atlanta's
train depot and area.

This photo was actually taken after the war,
when the trains were back in operation.  The
roundhouse on which they are positioned had
been destroyed by Sherman's army.

If you are familiar with modern Atlanta, you
may recognize some street names or other
landmarks on this map.

No, that's not a Civil War era locomotive below.
It's a modern diesel CSX engine.  I include it
here because in my book I refer to the love
my brother Buddy and I have always had
for trains.  After church at Prospect Methodist,
we could cross the road and watch the big
engines switching boxcars and flatcars on the
side tracks.  And I'm happy to say that everywhere
I've lived in my life I could hear the happy sound
of a train whistle at night.




A closing note about trains.  I was delighted
to find in the town of Sanford, North Carolina,
less than 30 miles from my home, an old steam
locomotive on display.

Imagine my amazement when I saw that it
was an Atlantic and Western locomotive!




I want to learn more about the history of
this old steam engine and how it ended up
in Sanford, North Carolina.

This dear old relic reminded me once again
how the history of railroads is tightly interwoven
with the story of our whole nation, not
just Atlanta.

No comments:

Post a Comment